9.16.2013

My style of minimalism. Minimalist Miniseries, Pt. 1

If you were to look at my house, you would probably not even think to label me as "minimalist". There are toys everywhere, and knick-knacks in some places. My house hardly looks like the typical stark white interiors bared of everything except maybe a desk and chair, which many automatically associate with minimalism.

I have two toddlers. Enough said.
Photo source


If there is one thing I have learned from all the reading I've done on minimalism, it's that everyone's definition of minimalism looks different. While most people would agree that it involves reducing things to the barest yet most effective state, everyone lives it differently-- in design, or actual number of possessions, or anticonsumerism, or search for inner peace. So for me, here are the things that are important on my journey:


~Keeping only objects that are either useful or special

~Reducing the mental clutter that excess objects bring

~Creating specific places for the objects I choose to keep (A place for everything, and everything in its place!)

~Reducing the amount of stuff I bring into the house

~Understanding why I keep the things I do-- and it had better be a darn good reason!


I'll try to expound on the above during this miniseries, as I have the time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Downright Domesticity

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...