1.28.2011

Seven Quick Takes Friday: All About Food



1-- I have done some deep rethinking of our meal schedule around here. Since Adam works late, we go to bed and wake up much, much later than the average person-- and this completely interferes with trying to eat on a normal person's schedule. We don't really have a lunch because we've usually just had breakfast. In the evenings, when Adam's gone, I don't like cooking dinner for just little ol' me, and Adam doesn't like spending his earnings on dinner. So, we do a lot of mindless whatever, whenever eating-- NOT GOOD!


2-- So, we're going to go all Spaniard around here and eat dinner, as a family, when Adam gets home- usually around 9- and adjust the rest of the mealtimes accordingly. We'll try it for a week and see how it works!


3-- My first month of Sugarless 2011 is coming to a close, and it's been a great success so far! It really feels like a lifestyle now. It was a little difficult in the beginning to remember, but Adam saved the day on several occasions by saying, "Um, what about your resolution?" when I'd mindlessly accept a sweet treat offered by friends.


4-- Something funny happened a couple weeks into this month, though. One night, I ate baked potatoes. Not a big deal to a person eating a normal diet with sugar, but I discovered about .4875 seconds after that particular meal that eating big, starchy potatoes is like eating crack. I had intense cravings for all sorts of sugary pastries for the rest of the day! Who woulda thunk.


5-- I am sometimes possessed of the irrational fear that the world's supply of cheesecake will be exhausted by January 1, 2012.


6-- Adam's been a champ. Besides helping me be more mindful, he actually does the no-sugar thing with me-- when he can. He does work in a bakery, after all, and therein lies temptation that no mortal could withstand.


7-- And, of course, the token Baby D take, which has nothing to do with food.


Already showing some musical aptitude?

Tonight is the second night since Tuesday that I laid him down fully awake for bed, turned off the lights, and found him sound asleep in a couple minutes! I am discovering that sleep is yet another thing that humans grow into-- I don't think it necessarily has to be an either/or situation (either let him cry it out or nurse him to sleep till the end of time). It's nice to have all this extra time in the evening, but just between you and me, I'm going to miss our snuggly bedtime.



And that's it for my seven quick takes! If you want to join in the fun, head on over to Conversion Diary!

6 comments:

  1. I always put Susannah in her bed fully awake, but I still get my snuggle time! After her bedtime feeding, I give her her paci and blankie and then I just hold her and rock her for a while. Sometimes she's "less snuggly" than others and then it's only minute or two, other times I sing her a handful of songs, or just sit and rock for a bit. Sometimes I do it in the day (after a meal-time that't not followed with sleep), just to get in more snuggle time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing no-sugar, too, and it is HARD! Your potato crack made me laugh, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo and included caption of Baby D makes me think that sometimes he'll get on stage, forget that he's supposed to sing, and instead eat the mic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason works at Sams Club, so he often doesn't get home til 9 either, and since I work in the afternoons we end up with a later than average schedule too. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1-2. Good luck! I think it's great to just do what works for you all for meals.

    4-5. Ha!

    6. Good for him!

    7. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha, if potatoes can do that to someone, I'd hate to think what I'm acting like on a day to day basis...I LOVE sugar in almost every form.

    Oscar is getting so big! I can't believe how much he's grown already!

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Downright Domesticity

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...