1.03.2011

Knead It Monday: Amish White Bread

For my first 2011 loaf of bread, I decided to go with a simple white bread. I'm not a huge fan of white bread, but Adam is. In fact, it's one of our little marital sources of contention. I even made a pie chart to demonstrate.



But I wanted to make something fairly uncomplicated, so I went to allrecipes.com and found this recipe for Amish White Bread. Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the original recipe for this "Amish" white bread called for a bread machine?

Right off the bat, the recipe called for a technique I had never tried before-- proofing. You mix the yeast, water, and sugar (yes, sugar! But I decreased it from 2/3 cup *gag* to 2 Tablespoons) and let it sit for about five minutes until the yeast gets all foamy. I took the picture after I added the oil, so that's what the blob is in the foam.



After rising, the recipe called for yet another technique I'd never done with bread before: kneading the dough after the first rise. Usually, my recipes call for chucking it right into the baking dish. But I kneaded it again, and set it out for the second rise.




They rose really well! I had a very good feeling about these loaves.

When I pulled them from the oven, I was elated! My number one problem with my breads are that they never rise much. These ones were by far the tallest loaves I've ever produced!


The one on the right looks like it needs to go on a diet. 



My one complaint is that they're somewhat mooshy inside-- maybe I should have baked them longer. And it's white bread. I just can't get past the lack of substance, even though this is way better than store-bought. I'm definitely going to have to cleanse my palate with a batch of whole wheat next week!

How do you like the little graphic I made for my weekly bread posts?




2 comments:

  1. Your graphics are hilarious! I'm with you on the white bread. I used to be in your husband's camp, but now I'm in yours. I think I also tried that Amish white bread recipe. I really like this European peasant bread dough that uses white, wheat, and rye flour and doesn't need kneading. (pun intended)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving it! Loving the chart and the graphic, and the bread looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Downright Domesticity

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...