7.09.2010

Use It Up, Wear It Out: 15 Bean Soup (Day 4)

In case you haven't guessed by now, I love beans (and I probably shouldn't be advertising this). I love the variety, the colors, and, of course, the protein they pack! So it was a bit surprising that a bag of 15 Bean Soup has been lingering around the pantry for months on end.
This is a marketable version of stone soup. All you need is the bag of beans! ... and a pound of ham... and a can of tomatoes... and onion, and spices... and so forth. It came with a little spice packet that was chock-full of must-have ingredients like hydrolyzed soy protein and artificial smoke flavor. And those were just the ones I can pronounce! So I tossed it.


I suppose there are two reasons why this was sitting around forever: 1) the 8-plus-hour soaking time for the beans, and 2) the price of ham. So yesterday morning, I threw the beans in a pot of water on my way out the door for work, and when I came home later, they were good to go! Gee, that was hard. :-P Then, since I'm a cheapskate, I used about half a pound of bacon instead of the pound of ham. I wasn't about to go hog-wild about this, after all! Fortunately, it did the job.


The verdict: when all was said and done, it is overpriced for a mere bag of beans with a little packet of chemicals. But the soup is soooooo tasty. I will definitely keep the recipe on hand somewhere and just use my own beans next time!


My overall reaction: I could totally pig out on this any day!

Adam's reaction: He doesn't like bacon, so he didn't try it. More for me, mwuahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Downright Domesticity

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...