Happy Earth Day! Today is the day to celebrate all things crunchy and environmentally friendly! Being raised in the stereotypical "Those-radical-leftists-are-hyping-up-the-environment-of-course-there's-no-problem" house (we all know one), I've never celebrated Earth Day. Even after realizing that, yes, there are negative things happening to the environment that we need to reverse, I still don't celebrate Earth Day, because I see the environmental trend as very... trendy.
So, I do my small, quiet things to be a little better to Mother Earth without all the hoopla. Some of these things make my husband exclaim, "You're a hippie!"Read my list of preferred activities and see what you think:
1. I use GladRags products as opposed to disposable female products. I once wrote a post about this here.
2. I make my own household cleaning products, face wash, and shampoo.
3. When I have the time and the means, I like to make my own prepared food from scratch: yogurt, bread, breakfast cookies, etc.
4. When shopping, I purposely seek products that are not packaged in plastic.
5. During said shopping trips, I will bring reusable bags if I remember to bring them (so, pretty much never. But at least, when I get to the checkout counter, I promise to remember next time. That counts for something, right?).
6. I recycle old newspaper by using them instead of paper towels when cleaning windows. It leaves a lint-free, streak-free finish every time!
7. And last, but not least, I own a pair of Birkenstocks.
So does this make me a hippie? I doubt it, since I also make fun of Fern Gulley. That pretty much negates any hippie points.
I'm trying to decide on one thing to add this year to increase my eco-friendliness, so I'm looking for ideas! What do you do to help the environment?